Barge (?), n. [OF. barge, F.
berge, fr. LL. barca, for barica (not found), prob.
fr. L. baris an Egyptian rowboat, fr. Gr. ?, prob. fr.
Egyptian: cf. Coptic bari a boat. Cf. Bark a vessel.]
1. A pleasure boat; a vessel or boat of state,
elegantly furnished and decorated.
2. A large, roomy boat for the conveyance of
passengers or goods; as, a ship's barge; a charcoal
3. A large boat used by flag officers.
4. A double-decked passenger or freight vessel,
towed by a steamboat. [U.S.]
5. A large omnibus used for excursions.