Be*hind" (?), prep. [AS. behindan;
pref. be- + hindan. See Hind, a.]
1. On the side opposite the front or nearest part; on
the back side of; at the back of; on the other side of; as, behind a
door; behind a hill.
A tall Brabanter, behind whom I stood.
2. Left after the departure of, whether this be by
removing to a distance or by death.
A small part of what he left behind him.
3. Left a distance by, in progress of improvement
Hence: Inferior to in dignity, rank, knowledge, or excellence, or in any
I was not a whit behind the very chiefest
2 Cor. xi. 5.
Be*hind", adv. 1. At the
back part; in the rear. "I shall not lag behind."
2. Toward the back part or rear; backward; as, to
3. Not yet brought forward, produced, or exhibited
to view; out of sight; remaining.
We can not be sure that there is no evidence
4. Backward in time or order of succession;
Forgetting those things which are behind.
Phil. ii. 13.
5. After the departure of another; as, to stay
Leave not a rack behind.
Be*hind", n. The backside; the