n. [L. interpretatio: cf. F.
1. The act of interpreting; explanation of
what is obscure; translation; version; construction; as, the
interpretation of a foreign language, of a dream, or of an
Look how we can, or sad or merrily,
Interpretation will misquote our looks.
2. The sense given by an interpreter;
exposition or explanation given; meaning; as, commentators give
various interpretations of the same passage of
3. The power or explaining. [R.]
4. (Fine Arts) An artist's way of
expressing his thought or embodying his conception of
5. (Math.) The act or process of
applying general principles or formulæ to the explanation of
the results obtained in special cases.
Syn. -- Explanation; solution; translation; version; sense;
exposition; rendering; definition.